The DA’s Office has secured 901 convictions via guilty plea in 2022
NEW ORLEANS – Today, the Orleans Parish District Attorney’s Office (OPDA) announced that 306 convictions via guilty plea were secured during April 2022. The guilty pleas secured were for a number of violent offenses including theft, illegal possession of weapons, robbery, kidnapping, sexual assault, domestic abuse, and manslaughter.
“The DA’s Office is committed to prosecuting violent crimes in New Orleans,” said District Attorney Williams. “These times are absolutely the most challenging we’ve faced in recent history, but we are working every day to hold those who commit violent offenses accountable and secure justice for the victims and families. (deleted last part)”
In 2022, the DA’s office has now secured a total of 901 convictions via guilty plea. Last year, despite court closures, OPDA secured over 3500 convictions via guilty pleas in over 1700 cases. Our office is laser-focused on prosecuting violent crimes committed in our neighborhoods.
The guilty pleas secured throughout 2022, also builds on the success of our office’s prosecutors to secure convictions in court since the resumption of jury trials.
- DA Williams, along with OPDA Trials Division Chief Matthew Derbes, secured the conviction of defendant Samuel Hunter for the Second Degree Murder of Anthony Bridges in the 1700 block of Monroe Street on Christmas Day 2020.
- ADAs Liz Strauss and Adele Krieger secured the conviction of Demeccio Caston for the Second Degree Murder of Patrick Lamar in New Orleans East in August 2019.
- ADAs Samantha Stagias and Carmen Gealogo secured the conviction of Trae Williams for the manslaughter of his uncle Eddie Salvant III in Algiers in April 2014.
- Chief Derbes and ADA Joe Zanetti secured the conviction of Harrison Bethley for the murder of his cousin, Darnell Thomas, in the 1800 block of Treasure Street in February 2020.
- ADAs Corbin Bates and Carmen Gealogo secured the conviction of Justyn Garrett for Domestic Abuse stemming from an incident in 2020.
- DA Williams, along with OPDA Sexual Assault Kit Initiative (SAKI) Division Chief Mary Glass and ADA Naomi Jones, secured the conviction of defendant William McDonough for the rape of a victim in the 900 block of Poeyfarre Street in September 2016.
- ADA/Narcotics Chief Gaudin and First Asst. McGowan secured the conviction of Christopher Alexander for the murder of Idrick Brister in New Orleans East in 2018.
- ADAs Simone Levine and Brad Scott secured the conviction of defendant Gerald “Frog” West for the murder of Marion Brit Hutson, Jr. in New Orleans East in February 2018.
- SAKI Chief Mary Glass and ADA Naomi Jones secured the cold case conviction of defendant Roland Butler for kidnapping, robbery and sexual assault in 1996.
- ADA Samantha Stagias secured the conviction of defendant Tremaine Williams for Aggravated Battery and Felon with a Firearm.
To learn more, please visit orleansda.com.