NEW ORLEANS – Yesterday, the Orleans Parish District Attorney’s Office (OPDA) secured the conviction of defendant Dashone Reynolds for a murder that took place in New Orleans East in March 2021. Led by Deputy Chief of Trials Susan Kutcher and Assistant District Attorney (ADA) Ashton Brown, Reynolds was convicted of Manslaughter and Obstruction of Justice.
“My office is committed to doing everything in our power to combat this crime surge that our city is facing, including ensuring that those who wreak havoc in our neighborhoods are held accountable. This conviction is proof of that commitment,” said District Attorney Jason Williams. “I am proud of the hard work of Deputy Chief of Trials Kutcher and ADA Brown to present a strong case and secure a unanimous conviction for the victims of this crime, and proud of our Victim/Witness Advocate team for the support they provided throughout the pendency of the case. Additionally, I would like to thank NOPD Detectives Nickolas Davis, Walter Edmond, and Vanessa Adams for their thorough investigative work and for providing our office with the evidence needed to secure a conviction.”
Reynolds was arrested after shooting another driver following a car wreck in New Orleans East.
The trial took place in Section K of Criminal District Court; Judge Marcus DeLarge presided. The sentencing date is set for October 19, 2022. The defendant faces up to 80 years in prison for Manslaughter and Obstruction of Justice.
This conviction complements the success of DA Williams and OPDA prosecutors to secure convictions via jury trial since the resumption of jury trials in March. When cases come to OPDA with sufficient evidence, OPDA has vigorously fought for victims of violent crimes. Guilty jury trial verdicts secured since March include:
- DA Williams, along with OPDA Trials Division Chief Matthew Derbes, secured the conviction of Samuel Hunter for the Second Degree Murder of Anthony Bridges in the 1700 block of Monroe Street on Christmas Day 2020.
- ADAs Liz Strauss and Adele Krieger secured the conviction of Demeccio Caston for the Second Degree Murder of Patrick Lamar in New Orleans East in August 2019
- ADAs Samantha Stagias and Carmen Gealogo secured the conviction of Trae Williams for the manslaughter of his uncle Eddie Salvant III in Algiers in April 2014.
- Chief Derbes and ADA Joe Zanetti secured the conviction of Harrison Bethley for the murder of his cousin, Darnell Thomas, in the 1800 block of Treasure Street in February 2020.
- ADAs Corbin Bates and Carmen Gealogo secured the conviction of Jhustyn Garrett for Domestic Abuse stemming from an incident that took place in the 5700 block of Saint Anthony Street.
- DA Williams, along with OPDA Sexual Assault Kit Initiative (SAKI) Unit Chief Mary Glass and ADA Naomi Jones, secured the conviction of William McDonough for the rape of a victim in the 900 block of Poeyfarre Street in September 2016.
- ADA/Screening Division Chief Andre Gaudin, Jr. and First Asst. Ned McGowan secured the conviction of Christopher Alexander for the murder of Idrick Brister in New Orleans East in 2018.
- ADAs Simone Levine and Brad Scott secured the conviction of Gerald “Frog” West for the murder of Marion Brit Hutson, Jr. in New Orleans East in February 2018.
- SAKI Chief Mary Glass and ADA Naomi Jones secured the cold case conviction of defendant Roland Butler for kidnapping, robbery, and sexual assault in the 1100 block of Toledano Street in 1996.
- ADA Samantha Stagias secured the conviction of defendant Tremaine Williams for Aggravated Battery and Felon with a Firearm in New Orleans East in September 2020.
- DA Williams, along with ADAs Christian Hebert-Pryor and Screening Chief Andre Gaudin, Jr., secured the conviction of Garrett Ward for the killing of 60-year-old Arnold Jackson in the 2000 block of Saint Charles Avenue in January 2018.
- Deputy Chief of Trials Lilian Hangartner and ADA Samantha Stagias secured the unanimous conviction of Joshua Riley for a Third Degree Rape that took place in the French Quarter in July 2019.
- ADAs Alex Calenda and Katherine Messina secured the conviction of defendant Michael Robinson for the Second Degree Murders of Leroy Benn, Jr., Gavonte Lampkin, and Shantrell Parker that took place in the in the 5000 block of Tullis Street in Gentilly in July 2018.
- ADAs Tori Guidry and Susan Kutcher secured the conviction of Damien Jenkins for Aggravated Assault with a Firearm and Felon in Possession of a Firearm, which took place in the 3600 block of General De Gaulle Drive in Algiers in March 2020.
- Deputy Chief of Trials Lilian Hangartner and ADA Penny Kissinger secured the conviction of defendant Shonnon Esteen for the rape of two minors in Orleans Parish between 2006 to 2010.
- ADAs Christian Hebert-Pryor and William Dieters secured a unanimous guilty as charged verdict of defendant Craig Curley, Sr. for sexual abuse of a minor.
- DA Williams, along with ADAs Joe Zanetti and Corbin Bates, secured the guilty as charged conviction of Damond Scott for Second Degree Murder, Attempted Second Degree Murder, and Obstruction of Justice in the St. Roch neighborhood in January 2017.
To learn more, please visit orleansda.com.